Koo: Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis 2nd Edition

The treatment of psoriasis has changed dramatically over the past five years with the emergence of biologic therapies primarily for moderate-to-severe disease. Nevertheless, topical therapy remains the most commonly prescribed treatment for psoriasis. The vast majority of patients have mild-to-moderate disease and are therefore reluctant to use systemic treatments. Surveys performed by the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) show that a large proportion of patients with disease affecting more than 10% of their body surface area (BSA) are treated with topical therapy alone. Moreover, the vast majority of patients treated with systemic agents including biologics require treatment with topical prescriptions as well. Successful therapy for biologic agents is measured by the Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) 75, i.e., 75% improvement in this measure of psoriasis severity. How is the other 25% treated? Most often, it is treated with topical therapy and occasionally with phototherapy.

Since the first edition of Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis, there has been considerable innovation in topical therapy and phototherapy. For the first time we have superpotent corticosteroids in spray, lotion, and shampoo formulations. Foam technology has improved so that there are several strengths of corticosteroids available in foams, and we now have emollient foams. While ointments are no longer the predominant branded therapy prescribed, the combination of betamethasone dipropionate ointment and calcipotriol in an ointment formulation has emerged as one of the most commonly prescribed psoriasis therapies and the first branded combination. This combination has most recently been introduced in a suspension that is marketed for the scalp.

The goal of Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis 2nd Edition is to provide state-of-the-art clinical management of mild to moderate psoriasis written by an international array of key opinion leaders.

The second edition highlights new treatments and treatment extensions that were not available when the first edition was published. Innovative coverage includes formulation of topical corticosteroids, topical vitamin D analogs, laser therapy, and hydrogel patches. Updates on the coverage of treatments covered include topical corticosteroids, calcipotriene, tazarotene, tars, anthralin, salicyclic acid, and phototherapy. There is a chapter highlighting recent advances in combination therapy.

There are chapters on palmaoplantar psoriasis, scalp psoriasis, inverse psoriasis, and nail psoriasis because these are areas of the body that are frequently resistant to ordinary forms of therapy. The editors are hopeful that the comprehensive yet practical and problem-focused approach to the management of mild-to-moderate psoriasis makes this a reference that dermatologists, internists, family practitioners, and residents can turn to for the most updated guidance in taking care of patients with mild-to-moderate psoriasis.

1. Introduction to Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis
2. General Approach to Psoriasis Treatment
3. General Guidelines for Administration of Topical Agents in the Treatment of Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis
4. Topical Corticosteroids
5. Vitamin D3 Analogs
6. Fixed-Dose Corticosteroid/Calcipotriene Combination Therapy
7. Topical Tazarotene
8. Topical Calcineurin Inhibitors
9. Treatment of Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis with Coal Tar, Anthralin, Salicylic Acid, and Lactic Acid
10. Phototherapy and Laser for the Treatment of Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis
11. Topical Sequential Therapy of Psoriasis
12. Combination Therapy
13. New Developments in Topical Psoriasis Therapy
14. Palmoplantar Psoriasis
15. Scalp Psoriasis
16. Inverse Psoriasis
17. Psoriasis of the Nails

Book Details  
  • Hardcover: 300 pages
  • Publisher: Informa Healthcare; 2 edition (2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1420088602
  • ISBN-13: 978-1420088601
  • Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.9 inches
List Price: $230.00 


Medical Lecture Note Copyright © 2011