1. Weight reduction
- Maintain normal body weight (BMI : 18.5 – 24.9).
2. Adopt DASH eating plan
- Consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products with a reduced content of saturated fat and total fat.
3. Dietary sodium reduction
- Reduce dietary sodium intake to no more than 100 mEq/d (2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride (NaCl) ).
4. Physical activity
- Engage in regular aerobic physical activity such as brisk walking (at least 30 minutes per day, most days of the week).
5. Moderation of alcohol consumption
- Limit consumption to no more than two drinks per day (1 oz or 30 mL ethanol [eg, 24 oz beer, 10 oz wine, or 3 oz 80-proof whiskey]) in most men.
- No more than one drink per day in women and lighter-weight persons.
Source: CMDT 2013